Thursday, October 11, 2012

No wasting here!

I scored some organic lemons today at Kroger!

Ten lemons for $2.29.  Not too bad.

I gave one to my son who sucked the juice and ate the pulp out of it.

Nine of them I juiced.  I got about 1 and 1/2 cups of juice.

Three of those I zested and froze the zest.
Those three I halved and have in the freezer for cleaning purposes.  Ya know, like scrubbing the tub with baking soda.

The remaining six I peeled the pith off and made candied lemon peels.  

I really did not want to waste the sugar water that was used for the candy so I decided to use some of the juice, added some pomegranate juice, and the sugar water and made pomegranate lemonade!

Oh and the pith and the one lemon my son ate?  I put down the disposal to freshen it up.  I literally only threw away the seeds!

DD2 came home from marching band practice and said that she could smell the lemons OUTSIDE!  I guess it is better that the house smells like lemons than something yucky!




No comments:

Post a Comment