9-12 organic lemons
2 1/4 cups organic dehydrated cane juice
4 cups filtered water
- Peel the lemons. I actually had halved and juiced them first, but honestly it would be easier to score and peel so that most of the pith comes off easily.
- Remove any extra pith (the white stiff on the inside of the peel..it is bitter!) This can be done by using a sharp knife and scraping it off.
- Cut the peel into strips or whatever shape you want. Since mine were already halved, I cut those halves into quarters. All my pieces look like triangles.
- Put the pieces into 2 cups of the water and boil for about 20-30 min.
- Drain the lemon peels and set aside.
- In the saucepan, add the other 2 cups of water and 2 cups of the dehydrated cane juice.
- Heat and stir occasionally until the cane juice is melted.
- Add the peels and turn heat down so that it simmers.
- Simmer until the peels are translucent. Mine took about 45-50 min.
- Remove the peels and let cool on a plate about 10 minutes.
- Discard the liquid (or save as a simple sugar solution)
- Dreg the peels in the rest of the cane juice and store in a dry container.
This made about 1-1.5 cups of lemon candy!