Wednesday, September 19, 2012

No poo now too?!?

To go along with our my non-toxic venture, I have decided to attempt to remove the toxins I put ON my body.  I already use organic soap. LOVE my soap. A friend from high school has a soap business and her soaps are all natural, even organic possibly. I just know her soaps are the best!  Check out Bodygoodies.

Ok, enough of the commercial.  But, seriously, I love her soaps and they are the only ones I use when showering.

I have also just got on the "no poo" kick.  My hair normally gets greasy fairly quick so I have trained it and usually only wash it about three times a week.  This has helped so much!  Now I have even gotten rid of the shampoo.  Late last week I gave up the shampoo.  I have now washed it without shampoo twice now and I LOVE it.

Here is what I do:  I get my hair wet.  I then have a container where I put maybe 1/8 cup of baking soda in it and mix with some water to make a paste.  I do not really measure the baking soda so it may be a little less than 1/8 cup. I have long hair (about 3/4 the length of my back) so those with short hair could really use less. I have read a tablespoon even. With the baking soda, I put a small amount onto different areas on my scalp and rub in. I make sure I get all the scalp, around the ears, etc.  I then take the rest and just spread around the hair. I then rinse it out.

Second:  I then take a wash cloth with some of my soap (currently it is a soap made from beer...and I have heard beer is good for hair, so I may order more just to use for my hair) and rub around my hair for a few seconds.  It has minimal lathering but thats okay.

Third: I have an old cup in the shower and in this I put some apple cider vinegar.  About half an inch in the cup (maybe 1/8 cup?). I dilute with water. I just fill the cup up with water and swirl to mix. I then pour over my hair and make sure it runs through the hair. 

Fourth: I then rinse my hair with some warm water and then I am done.

It is so easy!  It does take maybe a minute more in the shower.  My hair is so easy to comb through too! Since my hair is so long, I was afraid it would be too tangled and I would have to go back to the conditioner at least.  Nope, it is actually just as easy to comb through.  My hair has slightly more volume too.  It is super soft and does not feel limp.  It even looks good the second day. Normally I would have to wear my hair up the second day because the roots look a tad greasy. So far, I can wear my hair down a second day too.

It does have a slight vinegar smell to it while it is wet.  That smell does remain just a little bit after it dries too. It goes away though.  I have heard that you can add some essential oil drops to help with the smell, but I have not done that.

Hopefully I am just as enthusiastic about it in a few weeks.  I shall let you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment