Saturday, January 21, 2012

What you gonna grow?

(Yes, I am avoiding my homework!)

I have been thinking of what I want to grow this year in a garden. I have had many ideas...from growing a little of everything...to a lot of a few things.

I think we are going to go with a mixture. I know we want tomatoes...and lots of them! The rest is up for debate.

I have been making mental notes on the types of veggies we have been consuming. Tomatoes, peppers, onions, greens, lettuce, garlic, cucumbers, carrots, broccoli, asparagus, corn, green beans, sweet potatoes, potatoes, among a few others.

Sweet potatoes I can glean each fall from a local farmer. I was able to get five 5 gallon buckets full of them last year and even more if I wanted.

I started an asparagus patch in a bin last year and will put it in the ground soon. I have saved some wood for the man to make me some frames that I will grow potatoes in. As the potato plants grow up, I will add another frame and more straw or whatever is needed. I think we will grow some green stem onions also. I would like some herbs also, but I havent even begun to figure out which ones I want to grow. I think also we will grow tomatoes (roma and slicing), cucumbers, peppers (this is as far as I got. Maybe green, red, banana, jalapeno), and in cooler weather would be lettuce and greens.

Besides eating fresh, I would like to preserve our bounty also. Freezing peppers would be great. Maybe even make some jalapeno poppers! Some pickles would be nice. Since our son cannot have much sodium, making low sodium pickles would be nice for him. As far as the tomatoes, I have major plans for them! Pizza sauce, BBQ sauce, ketchup, spaghetti sauce, tomato paste, and just plain ol canned tomatoes for whatever.

I see a busy gardening and canning season ahead!

No comments:

Post a Comment