Friday, October 14, 2011

Sweet potato madness!

I do love me some sweet potatoes! I am really the only one in the family though...wait, my oldest girl in college now likes them...yay!

I got the invite about a week ago to go glean some sweet taters from a farmer's field. Hello? That invite was quickly accepted!

After about 30 minutes, I gathered five 5 gallon buckets plumb full of sweet potatoes! Small fingerlings to large "feed your family on one tater" tater. Whoa mama! I was in tater heaven! I actually wanted to go back for more the next day, but then I was brought back to my senses when I looked into the kitchen and saw the abundance of what I gleaned.

This particular farmer believes in sharing. He told my friend's grandmother that he believes in gleaning (although she told me he says "gleaming"). He believes it in a Biblical way...that by sharing the wealth, he is doing good. I cannot remember how my friend phrased it. He had told friends that the commercial people who buy his produce had collected what they wanted and he did not want the rest to go to waste so by word of mouth people were to head to his field and pick as many taters as they wanted. I was so glad to be in the know! We did not even make a dent in the amount of potatos in the acres of land. I now wish I knew more people to glean from!

So what am I going to do with all these sweet potatoes? Not completely sure. So far I have given some away...maybe almost 2 buckets full. Why not? Honestly, what am I going to do with all these potatoes when me and one other child like them? I am going to try to make some sweet potato fries to freeze. I am also going to can a bunch of them for meals and casseroles. (in my new canner...booyah!) I will also make some sweet potato pie filling and freeze. A friend gave me a sweet potato biscuit recipe so I may make some and freeze or just can more for it.

Any recipes to share???

No comments:

Post a Comment