Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Basil Pesto Baby!

I was at a friend's house one day and she asked, "Basil is not a perennial is it? Nope, I don't think it is." Before I could answer, she had pulled out half of her plant and handed it to me....dirt pile and all.

So after I got over my excitement of scoring some free basil, I put it in the plastic bag she gave me and off I went.

On the way home I was able to smell its lovely smell (which I totally did not know it had) and contemplate, "what in the world do I do with this basil?" You see, I am not a good cook...emphasis on NOT A GOOD COOK!

Well, the internet is a good thing. I learned about pesto. Before the internet, I knew nothing about pesto.

Nope, nothing. Well, I heard of the word, pesto, but had NO CLUE what it was!

So, here, my new friends, is the recipe for basil pesto. (I still have more basil and plan on making some more and freezing it! I have learned that a little goes a long way with this stuff!!)

Basil Pesto Baby!

Ingredients:
2 cups fresh basil leaves (pack those suckers into the measuring cup!)
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan-Reggiano or Romano cheese
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
3 medium sized garlic cloves, minced
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

Directions:
-Throw the basil and the garlic in a food processor and pulse a few times.
-Slowly...slowly...add the olive oil..while the food processor is on.
-Scrape down the sides with a spatula if needed. (turn the processor off while doing this!)
-Add the cheese and turn the processor back on
-Add salt and pepper to taste. (I have always wondered what "to taste" means, so I usually just add a pinch and think, "BAM!" its done!
-ENJOY! I used about a tablespoon for each bowl of pasta. I forgot how much the recipe "officially" makes, but I was able to get about 8-9 tablespoons.
(Oh and my food processor broke so I used a blender. It worked, but I had to keep unclogging it.)

This basil pesto is now officially my favorite green glop!

No comments:

Post a Comment